Pages

Monday, March 5, 2012

All Better Now


Sometimes I feel bad for Mondays. In the hierarchy of days it's at the bottom of the pile. I mean, what other day of the week has a song written about how terrible it is - how it brings you down? Poor Monday. I have to say though, that even though I feel bad for Mondays, around here they're usually tough to take. On the weekends Abby bounds out of bed (usually in the wee hours of the morning), but on Monday she wants to sleep in, along with Mom and Dad. Usually, as I'm rushing around trying to get ready for work she's right there wanting to play and enjoy a slow morning with Mama. It isn't uncommon to hear her respond to my explanation that I'm getting ready for work and can't play with her with a, "No, Mom! All done work - don't want it!" Sure we try to keep it cheery, telling her that she'll see her friends, teachers, and the much loved bus driver, "Miss Kathy", but despite that there's something that is just difficult about Mondays.

Today was no different, a bit better than some, but it was still Monday. The report from the teacher was that Abby's day was just okay - a difficult morning with a better afternoon. For me school was good, but I had the prospect of coming home to all the dishes and cleaning that I'd left yesterday because I was just too tired. Frankly, there wasn't much to look forward to this evening.

Abby got off the bus in a good and goofy mood as usual and quickly settled in for a snack. I figured it was as good a time as any to get going on the cleaning. It was in the midst of that cleaning that I heard her cry out. It wasn't the "I'm in real pain" kind of cry, but the "I'm tired and need some cuddles" kind. I went in to find out what was going on and saw her holding onto her foot. Apparently, Big Bad Bruiser had stepped on her foot. Needing a bit of a cuddle myself I picked her up, sat down on the couch, and gave her some comfort. She snuggled in for a moment and then leaned back to give me a teary smile and tell me, "All better now, Mama!"


Abby LOVES dancing - especially in the new dress from Nana and Papa! She also
wanted to know where her friend from school (Annalise) was, I think she wanted to 
show off her sweet moves!

Soon dinner was being made and thoughts of the busy week intruded. I started to feel that, "Ugh, it's only Monday" feeling. Just then Jason came home and with him he brought the gift that Nana and Papa had given him for Abby - a new dress. Quickly the dress was on (backwards, but it was on) and Abby was happily dancing in front of her mirror. I leaned against the wall watching her and smiled as I thought, Ahhhh, all better now.



We had plenty of laughs tonight as Abby hammed it up for us, and let fly a few one-liners. She fell asleep as I told her the story of Goldilocks and the Three Bears, one of her favorites. I watched her sleep for a while and was reminded that not even Mondays can get me down when I've got Abby around.


Super-Star Abby takes a break from dancing to enjoy some M&M's

Jason got his cast put on today and Abby added her signature. When she was finished she stepped back and said, "There you go!"

No comments:

Post a Comment