Pages

Monday, September 24, 2012

Halloween

Last night, as I lay awake in bed I got to thinking about Halloween of all things. I've noticed that the stores are packed with goodies ready for trick or treating, and I've yet to figure out what Abby is going to be this year.

Year one she made her debut as a bumblebee. She was mighty cute as we trotted around town, popping in to get a treat (that admittedly went to Mama and Dada) from her Godparents and special friends.


If you look closely you can see her stinger.
 The next year I tried my hand at making her costume. I painstakingly traced a poodle and put together a felt skirt. I even knit her a cute little pink sweater to round our her 50's girl outfit. All this work was simply because she'd gotten a cute little pair of saddle shoes a few months before. Yep, that's how I operate.

You have to admit those shoes are adorable!
Year three we purchased her costume. Abby became Little Red Ridding Hood, with Annie our first German Shepherd as her Big Bad Wolf. Once again we stopped off at a select few houses, but we still had a great time!
As cute as this costume was it didn't even make it
through the night before it stared getting holes
in it. Eventually all that was left was the skirt.
Year four we went with an oldie but a goodie - Raggedy Ann. My oh my she was a cutie for her first preschool Halloween party. Unfortunately, she got a pretty nasty sinus infection, so we ended up staying in.

She did get to go to Dada's work to get some goodies
there though!
Since she really didn't get out for 2008, we recycled Raggedy Ann one more year. Once again, she was under the weather for the big night. We promptly got rid of that costume.

Raggedy Abby was just not destined to
leave the house.
For Abby's 6th Halloween we went with one of her favorite pastimes  - she became Chef Abby. All that was missing were the bright orange Mario Batali Crocs. She loved that costume, and since I hemmed the pants I felt like I had a little hand in making it. She got to wear it for yet another preschool party, but for some odd reason we still did not get out to do some serious trick-or-treating.

Here she is giving her impression of a French
Chef - her finger is her mustache and she's saying,
"Ah-ha-ha!"
Of all the costumes of years past the hardest to beat will be last year. Jason found this one, and it was by far my favorite. Meet Madeline Abby.


I tell you that costume couldn't have been more perfect. Last year we also went out for our first round of honest to goodness trick-or-treating. Abby and I walked hand-in-hand through a friend's neighborhood and she did a great job of saying, "Trick-or-treat," so sweetly, and always added, "Thank you," after the drop. I eventually lost count of how many people commented on how cute that costume was - although, in my opinion, it took a kid equally as cute to pull it off.

So here we are 2012 and the pressure is on. What could possibly top Madeline? We've got a bit of time left, but I know it will be here before we know it. So, if any of you out there have some stellar ideas, feel free to throw them my way, because apparently this is keeping me up at night!

No comments:

Post a Comment