Pages

Monday, September 10, 2012

Was It Worth It?


One of the very best things about teaching at a Christian school is the opportunity I have to talk with my students about my Faith. I love when we can have real conversations about the deeper meaning of Scripture and they take what we read and apply it to their lives. Those are wonderful moments. Today I had a wonderful "ah-ha" moment of my own. 

This year we are focusing on Old Testament history. Today we were finishing up a discussion on Cain and Abel which, of course, brought up the topic of sin and repentance. Finally one of my students raised her hand and said, "Mrs. Valente, I just don't get it. God knows everything, right?"

"Yes," I said.

"So He knew before He made the world that there would be sin, right?"

"Yep."

"That's what I don't get, if He knew there would be sin, why did He create the world in the first place?"

I thought that was a wonderful question, and one I'm sure that many have had in the past. I thought for a moment, and knowing my students as I do, I knew that putting it in relatable terms would be the best way to go - and what's more relatable than Abby?

Here’s what I told them:

Before I became a parent no one told me how hard it was going to be. They may have tried to, but I wouldn’t listen. You all know my Abby, and she can be a lot of work - all kids are. Sometimes I get really frustrated, but you know what? If I knew then, before Abby, what I know now, I would most certainly still want to have her - just the way she is. See, any frustration, fear, and work that I have because of her is nothing in comparison to the absolute love I have for her. I love her deeply, even when she is not being lovable, and nothing compares to the joy that she brings into my life. That’s the closest I can get to how I imagine God feels about us. He loves us so much, that even though He knew before he created us that we would be sinful, He also knew how much he would love us.

That seemed to make sense to her and we moved on, but I kept coming back to that today. I have always felt so very blessed to be Abby’s mom, that of all the people in the world God gave her to us. Even though there are moments when I get terribly exasperated, nothing compares to the love that I have for that kid.

That, in itself was a lovely thought, but coupled with the fact that I cannot comprehend the amount of love that the Father has for me made it even better. Let me tell you, it was a wonderful way to start my day.

Well worth it, don't you agree?

No comments:

Post a Comment