Pages

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

To Grandmother's House We Go

From the moment Abby woke up this morning she remembered my promise from yesterday that we would be going to Grandma's house. Abby bound out of bed ready to head out - at 6:30 a.m. I had to remind her that not everyone starts their day at the crack of dawn and that we would be going to Grandma's this afternoon. Luckily, she was okay with that. She didn't forget though, and throughout the morning would check with me to make sure that I hadn't forgetten we were going on a visit today.

Finally, finally it was time to go and she was very excited. She told Jason that she was going to "her" grandma's house and she was going to give her kisses when she saw her. She bopped out to the car and climbed in, smiling the whole way. She was great in the car and soon we pulled in to Grandma's driveway. Now, along with being excited about seeing Grandma, Abby was looking forward to "the room", I wasn't sure what she was talking about, but it soon became clear. I've talked about Abby's love for beds before, but as soon as she popped up onto my mom's bed I knew this was what she'd been looking forward to. See, across from the foot of the bed is the dresser - the dressed with the big mirror. Abby's impish little smile grew huge as she stood on the bed and gave a few test bounces, watching herself the whole time. I could see it, the desire to go for a few good jumps, and I have to admit, there was a part of me that wanted to let her, but I knew that it would be so much harder to reign it in once it began.

Goofy Girl!
We were finally able to distract her with pizza and a few surprises - puzzles, bunny ears, and fun eyeglasses. We had a great time and soon it was time to head back home. Abby was not as excited to head back to the car, but we got her in and and drove off. After an afternoon of visiting Abby wasn't as cooperative and at one point I had to get off the highway because she'd decided that the seatbelt was "too tight" and wiggled out of it to sit in another part of the back seat. It was at that point that I started thinking it would be a good idea to keep her old car seat in the back. Thankfully, she finally found her backpack, and began investigating what was in there. That kept her busy, putting on clothes and writing notes, until we got home.

It was good for us both to get out of the house, and it was so good to visit with my mom. Tomorrow we head to Nana and Papa's for some more kisses, hugs, and bouncy beds.

This is one of those pictures that I looked
at later and realized how old Abby looks.
*sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment