Pages

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Listening In

I think I've mentioned before how much I enjoy seeing Abby and Jason together, but I discovered tonight that it is just as fun hearing them together. Let me explain. With my new found freedom (no more classed for three weeks) I'm going "sew" crazy. For Mother's Day I got this darling book, Girl's World: Twenty-One Sewing Projects to Make for Little Girls, and I couldn't wait to dive in! So as Abby was enjoying one of her favorite programs with Jason, I had my head bowed over my machine and was sewing away.

Soon those two came trotting down the stairs, with Abby in the lead, talking about baking. I was about to stop Abby's mad dash into the kitchen, until Jason showed up with that little smile on his face that told me they were up to something. Sure enough they pulled out bowls and spoons and got to work. As I sewed I was treated to the sound of them work together. Jason was giving Abby directions like, "Now, your job is to mash these to bits and pieces," and Abby would respond, "Oh. Okay, Dada. Bits and pieces."

Even though some of their discussions involved teasing me, it was still fun to listen to them working together as they whipped up some cinnamon bread, with a "surprise" ingredient - bananas. There was one dicy moment when Jason left the ladle in the mixing bowl, while Abby wanted to keep mixing, but a quick save by Mom was all that was needed. Soon they were waving good-bye to the pan of batter and putting it in the oven.

They then went their separate ways, Abby to eat a popsicle, and Jason to relax and not watch something animated. I continued sewing and smiling as I thought about how great those two are together. They just have fun. It is clear that they enjoy being around each other and the laughing (from both of them) that usually results is wonderful to hear.

I was so engrossed with my sewing and thinking that soon enough Jason came to tell me that it was ten minutes to nine, oops! After a quick "try-on" we went off to bed. I was not surprised that as Abby and I settled in, she suddenly sat up and said, "Don't wanna, Mama. Want Dada!" I tried not to let my feelings be hurt that she didn't want me for her night-time cuddles, but I still felt a little sad as I left the room and Jason took my place. I didn't hear a peep out of the two of them, and I swear by the time I'd gotten a piece of that yummy bread and plopped myself down on the couch to write my post I heard Jason coming downstairs, telling me that Abby had already fallen asleep.

I'm thrilled that the two of them had such a good night. It is so important that they get to spend time together and enjoy each other's company. I suspect on days like today, Jason's "Abby Time" lifts his spirits after a long day at work, and for Abby time with, "My Dada" is just as precious.

Here's the dress. It's a little
big, but she'll grow into it - it
will be perfect for next summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment