Pages

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

The Bathroom Battle

You know, I thought when Abby was finally potty trained all of the "potty troubles" would be behind us. That doesn't seem to be the case. I have to admit, she is getting better, and most of the time it isn't an issue, but there are sometimes when we have to cajole, urge, and even threaten her into going potty. Most of the time the problem is that she's having too much fun, and she doesn't want to stop what she's doing. I understand that, there are plenty of times when I feel the same way, but it still drives me a little batty that it is a battle.

Tonight she was having a snack when she announced that she had to go potty. Usually, if she announces it, it is time for a rush and run to the bathroom. So, I put down what I was doing and headed in help scoot her along. The problem was she didn't want to leave her snack behind - she wanted to bring the whole plate to the bathroom. I told her that she could bring some, but not all. This is when the arguing began. Worried that in the midst of a stubborn battle of wills, Abby would wait too long and have an accident, I picked her up and forged on. That's when she really got mad.

In retrospect I think she thought I had designs on her food, because in her anger she rushed to eat what she'd grabbed - and bit her finger in the process, and not just any ole' finger, The Finger, the one that only months ago endured surgery. Her anger quickly turned to tears and instead of fighting me, she now sought comfort. I certainly made all the appropriate sympathy sounds and gave her plenty of squeezes - as I continued up the stairs. It was once I got her situated on the potty that I could get a look at the finger and see that she really had a good set of, chompers, because she'd drawn blood.

Now, if you know Abby, you know that once she "knows" she's hurt she doesn't want anyone taking a peek at it. That isn't surprising, since many times those "peeks" have been accompanied by pain (and even a trip or two to the ER). So when Dada came up to find out what all the hollering was about, and upon hearing about the finger, offered the suggestion to look at it, Abby went into another round of hysterics. I finally was able to get her downstairs and calm - with the promise of a band-aid.

She soon declared that she was "all better now" and disposed of the band-aid, as she crawled back into her cardboard box (her "house") to finished up her snack. And so, what should have been a quick trip to the bathroom, literally became a bloody battle.

All truly is better now, as she is off to play a quick game of "catches" with Dada before bedtime. All I have to say, is that it's a good thing she's so cute - the little stinker!

I think Abby has the prettiest eyes - I wish you could see
them in person. The gold flecks in them tell the story of how
precious she is!

No comments:

Post a Comment