Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Ups and Downs

Today seemed to be one of those days that was filled with ups and downs. The plan was to head out to see my mom, and we were both looking forward to that, but as the morning progressed I had the inkling that it was going to be "one of those" days.

Abby is strong willed - there is no doubt about that, and I've been told that I have a rather robust will of my own, so there are times when we clash. My head knows that when I "dig in", Abby will follow suit, but sometimes I would really just like for her to simply do what I ask - without arguing. Don't get me wrong, there are times when that happens, but lately she has been exerting her will more and more - and I have to admit it is driving me a little batty. Let me take you through our day, and you'll see what I mean.


Abby was very excited to head out to Grandma's house today, therefore the process of getting ready went rather smoothly. Sure, she insisted on taking the bubble packing she found on the piano, left over from a recent package, but that was small. So, with her wearing her ballet leotard we headed out the door.


Once we hit the porch she hit the breaks. Her shoes had gotten left in the car, and so I picked her up to carry her over the cement and grass. She didn't appreciate my chivalrous maneuver, because she immediately started fighting me. Then, being crabby, she didn't want to use her booster seat, and tried to throw it into the back of the car. After pleading, cajoling, and finally threatening that we wouldn't go, I was able to get her into that blasted seat. At this point I figured that a stop for come coffee would be a very good idea.


I know the guy at Tim Horton's must have wondered what my deal was as I asked for cups with lids and sticky-less donuts, but I know what Abby is capable of, and I wanted to minimize the mess. I got my coffee and we were off. It was a pleasant ride, as the little dictator in the back continued to order me to sing along to Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, which was blaring through the car. 

Soon enough we were at Grandma's house. She was thrilled and yelled excitedly as we pulled into the driveway. We had a great time visiting and having some lunch. It was no surprise when Abby insisted on trying out Grandma's bathtub - it seems that she is under the impression that this is what one does when they visit their grandparents. She even let my mom and I spend some time visiting and looking a pictures as she played with her dolls and built a bed/fort with a couple of chairs and a blanket. Finally, we all ended up in my mom's room and embarked on a hour of pretend play nirvana. We all took turns being teacher and students, bus driver and kids, super heros and villain, princess and dragon/space alien, as well as members of a marching band. Along the way, Grandma taught Abby all about pillow fights, and how well they get a response out of Mom. It really was a great time.


Then we had to leave. Abby had been having too much fun and she was not about to budge. Finally, with the promise that she could bring Grandma's blanket home, and that we would return soon for a sleepover, she let Grandma carry her out to the car. The ride home was uneventful, but I was tired and Abby wanted to hear the same song over and over - which makes for a very, very long ride. 

On our way home we needed to pick up a few essentials at the grocery store. If we hadn't needed some things for dinner I would have put it off until she'd gone to bed, but it was on our way, and it had to be done. Now, she wasn't horrible the whole time, and I really don't think the lady looking at the books minded terribly when Abby nearly absconded with her cart, but she is so hard to contain in a situation like that. She didn't want to ride in the cart and she didn't want to walk. I eventually convinced her to "glue" her hands to the cart and help me push, but then when I went for the sour cream, she took off without me. There were some cute moments, like when she greeted some people chatting in the aisle and after greeting her back they told me, "You have a very friendly kid there." Don't I know it! And, she did help me bag everything, doing a spectacular job, but as she slam-dunked the items into the bag I couldn't help but be thankful that we hadn't gotten any eggs.

With a sigh of relief we were heading out to the parking lot. Before we got to the outside door though she stopped the cart and now begged for a ride in the back. I just wanted out of there so I hefted her into the basket and proceeded to our car. That's when I realized my mistake. I unloaded the groceries and put the cart away, but Abby was insistent that she was staying. A small tussle ensued as I tried to get her out of that cart. She pushed and I prayed I wouldn't drop her. Eventually I got her in the car, buckled her in, got in my seat, and resolved that she would never again set foot in another grocery store - at least not with me.

Getting home wasn't much better. She didn't want to get out of the car. She didn't want to go up the steps. She didn't want to get in the house. And Mom didn't want to deal with it anymore. I picked her up and told her I wasn't happy with how she'd been behaving. That's when the tears started.


We had ourselves a nice sit-down at that point. She apologized and I forgave. I told her how important it is that she do what Mommy asked, and she agreed. I apologized for not having patience, and she hugged her forgiveness. We snuggled and made up. She then proceeded to follow the next two directions that I gave her very nicely. She is now coloring so sweetly with Dada, offering encouraging words to him as they work together on the same picture. 

After giving Jason the run-down on our day he very wisely told Abby that she would get to do bedtime with him tonight. Even though we've ended on an "up" that might be a very smart move on his part.

"Little Purple Riding Hood" decided to play
dress-up at Grandma's house today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment