Pages

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Bookworm

Abby has been a bit of a bookworm lately. It seems that she is always requesting that I read her a book. Today she even went so far as to orchestrate an elaborate ruse that involved a rather dramatic fake yawn and a claim that she was "so tired", just so that she could hear Goodnight Moon. In fact, in the last week the only thing that has gotten her little tush upstairs to her room for bedtime was the promise of reading books, and there were several nights when she barely made it up those stairs because she was carrying so many books to read.

I love that she loves books. The teacher in me is tickled that she says, "Me too!" when we read about Merida's brothers and how they play games - those are wonderful connections. The mom in me looks forward to the moment when she snuggles in close, with her head on my shoulder, as we read about snowy days. The teacher in me is particularly pleased when Abby will use the pictures to predict what is coming next in the story. The mom in me gets all warm and fuzzy when I see her "reading" to her dolls, sharing a beloved story in her tiny little reading voice. Both the teacher and the mom in me are so pleased with this latest routine, because the teacher knows how very important it is for her literacy development to be read to each day, and the mom in me understands how that time together helps us to become closer - that it is a special time for us to interact and enjoy each other's company.

So here's some advice from the mom and the teacher: if it has been a while since you've had the chance to read with your child, pick up a favorite book and find a comfy spot that will fit two - it will be so very good for the both of you.

Abby was back to her normal self today, even requesting
a chance to head back to school tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment