Pages

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Cinnamon and Applesauce

What did I do before Pinterest?....I'll tell you what....not nearly as much as I do now. I've officially lost count of the number of "Pinterest Projects" I've tackled. With everything from teachers' gifts to Valentines, Pinterest has had my back. It even got me (gasp!) sewing! Yes, Pinterest has become one of my major "go to" spots.

It should come to no surprise then, that when I got the "brilliant" idea to make some ornaments for our tree this year, I turned to Pinterest. It was there that I stumbled across this wonderful blog post that detailed some beautiful cinnamon applesauce ornaments. Not only did it look easy, but I knew they would smell wonderful.

After hearing about some inexpensive bulk cinnamon (Thanks, Sharen!), I decided that today was the day. After school Abby and I would make some ornaments. I figured she would love to mix, roll and cut them, and it would be a fun Christmas memory for both of us.

She was certainly game when I told her I had an "activity" to do with her. She really got excited when I started pulling out the measuring cups, an apron, and a rolling pin. There were a few dicy moments when she wanted to take off with the "scrap" dough and play with it in the other room, but once I could distract her with the promise that tomorrow, after they were dry, we would paint them, she was better.

For you brave souls that would like to try this easy (and I do mean easy) project here's what you need:
  • 1 c. cinnamon (which I got on sale at Gordon Food Service - $5.28 for a little over 15 oz. - a steal really)
  • 3/4 c. applesauce
  • wood cutting board
  • wooden rolling pin
  • cookie cutters
  • metal spatula
  • drying rack
  • straw (for the hanging hole)
That's it. You measure...


mix....



roll...


...and cut.
Abby really meant business when it came to the cutting.
See how her hand is a blur? That star was CUT OUT, by the
time she was done with it.
According to what I read, you need to let them dry for at least 24 hours. I picked up some white puffy paint, and tomorrow we will decorate them. My plan then is to write on the back that they were made by Abby and the year, and then attach them to gifts at Christmas. Wouldn't that be a fun tradition? I thought so too.

So far they look great!



Stay tuned for the decorating story tomorrow....that could really get interesting...

No comments:

Post a Comment