Pages

Monday, November 5, 2012

Daylight Savings Time

Okay, I resisted the last two days, but I can't hold it in any more, I'm going to complain - about the time change.

You know, I used to LOVE when the time to fall back came around. Getting that extra hour was like a little gift, but now, with a kid, it's terrible. Unfortunately, my ire wasn't tampered by the fact that I read an article recently that Daylight Savings Time was actually the brain child of Benjamin Franklin - in 1784 - when most people were farmers, and they could use that extra hour in the evening. Today instead of the touted "energy savings" that were thought to occur because of DST, we actually have higher energy costs, more pedestrian fatalities, and less money - due to the increase in shopping that that extra hour now affords us. Although all of this is ample reason to not support the continued practice of DST (you can read the full article here), I have but one reason that really matters to me: Abby.

You would think that an extra hour wouldn't be that big of a deal, right? Well, let's talk about that - tomorrow at 4:30 a.m. when she gets up because her internal clock is not so easily pushed back. Sure, you could argue that she is now going to bed earlier, but 6 p.m. hardly seems fair - she's barely done with her dinner, and yet she is yawning and talking about how tired she is.

So, here we go again - another round of trying to get all of us acclimated to the shift in time and daylight. I know that we are not alone in all of this, and that eventually she (and we) will adjust, but for right now it just stinks.

And here ends my rant on Daylight Savings Time - I shall discuss it no more.

On a lighter note: Abby enjoyed some ice cream tonight.
As you can see from her loving gaze - she is a great fan of
the ice cream. She even ate the "skin" - as she calls the cone.

1 comment:

  1. YES! We're still struggling with it, too. :-( I wonder when, with a child, it'll get easier to deal with. I guess once they hit the teenager-wanna-sleep-as-late-as-possible years...

    ReplyDelete