Pages

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Pity Party

Today was one of those days when I fell into the trap of throwing myself a perpetual pity party. I woke up this morning with that annoying tickle in the back of my throat, telling me that a sore throat was sure to follow. On my way to school I stopped off for some cough drops and tea, along with my morning cup of joe, knowing I would need them.

Round about 9 a.m. I decided enough was enough and set about trying to find a sub for the rest of the day...only there wasn't one to be had. So, I brewed some of that tea and hunkered down for the long haul.

Throughout the day I wasn't feeling any better, and so when three o'clock hit I was ready to head home. It was when I walked in the door that saw the evidence of my neglect...of the house that is, I couldn't look anywhere without seeing things that were out of place. Unfortunately, I didn't have the energy to organize, straighten, and put away.

Soon enough Abby was home and needing my attention. Then it was dinner (which thankfully Jason brought home with him - what a good guy), bath time, and bedtime. After drawing and going on a "road rally" with Mickey, I was ready to call it a night - Abby wasn't.

That's when she got mad at me. The pity party continued as I was kicked out and replaced by Dada. It was when I was walking down the stairs that the words of one of my students came back to me....and hit me in the face.

About a week ago I overheard one of my students trying to encourage another of my students. He told them, "Just think of one good thing. My mom said that we should always find at least one good thing about each day." I thought that was very good advice, and so I began listing my blessings. That's when I heard Abby through the monitor telling Jason, "No, don't wanna Dada - want Mama."

So I trotted back upstairs and within a few minutes she was cuddled close and breathing softly. She'd made sure to put her hand on the side of my face as she drifted off to sleep, and that's when I got today's happy thought. The feel of that soft little hand on my jaw was enough to lift my spirits and help me realize that even with a sore throat and messy house I am blessed beyond measure.

My little cuddle bug.

No comments:

Post a Comment