Pages

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

A Snowy Day

Well, today more than made up for yesterday. The snow storm was every bit as plentiful as they had predicted, and therefore we did not have school - we had a Snow Day (or as Abby likes to call them "Snowy Days"). Unfortunately, we also didn't have power for the first part of our day. This could have been a problem, but we are hearty people and therefore when it did start to get a bit chilly, Abby and I simply went up to her room and read and colored while snuggling under her covers. Even though Jason "got" to go in to his warm office, I still think we got the better bargain.

Before lunch though, things were back on and I had no excuses for not throwing in that extra load of wash or getting some housework done. The thing is I've always felt that snow days are "gift" days, and therefore they should be spent doing only what you want to, not what you have to. Today I wanted to take it easy, and that's what we did. Abby was wonderfully low key and independent today, I think she was just as glad to have a bonus day at home.

She read books, she played with her dolls, and she did a whole lot of dressing up. I think for at least an hour this morning she was in her cowgirl gear and singing her heart out into her microphone. She was much more productive than I was, and at one point really let her artistic side shine, so I thought I would share some of her artwork from today. Get ready to be impressed - I was.

"Pumpkin"
Abby came up with the concept and design of this all on her own.


"Tree with Leaves"
I asked her to draw me a tree, and this is what she came up with. I love
that she chose autumn colors (my favorite season) and that she caught some
of the leaves mid-fall.


"Joseph's Coat"
This morning she wanted to watch Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.
The only problem was that it was in our DVD machine, and we didn't have power - so
I couldn't get the movie out, to play it on my computer.
She did get to watch it later and I thought his coat would be a fun coloring project.


"The Crowd"
This wasn't done today, but it was a drawing that came home from school one day last week. I just love it.
I haven't done it, but I bet if I sat down with her she could tell me who each of the people in the picture are, and what they are saying (did you notice the "scribbles" by some of the people? - those are "Abby words").

No comments:

Post a Comment