Pages

Friday, February 22, 2013

Tap Reading

I've mentioned before how Abby likes to read. She really loves books, and each night before bed we spend at least half an hour reading, until she usually falls asleep midway through a book. As a teacher I know how very, very important this is to her language development and to prepare her for reading on her own. As a mother, I relish that quiet time the two of us share - it really is priceless.

Now, I've also mentioned that Abby will toggle between digital books and real books. Some nights she sticks with digital, some nights she sticks with real, and some nights, like tonight, she'll request a few of each.

For some time know I've noticed a particular thing she does when she is reading real books that may seem a bit odd to the casual observer. Each time we turn a page, Abby will tap her finger to one, or several of the pictures and then make a sound effect, or talk for the character. This may seem odd..... if you've never read a digital storybook. See, most of her digital books are interactive, the characters move or say something when you tap on them. I like to think that this tapping has become another way for her to interact with books. I love that she is stretching her imagination further by anticipating what the characters might do, or visualizing how things might taste or feel, or delivering dialogue with great inflection and enthusiasm. In fact I think it would be a great thing to have a whole generation of "tappers" reading, don't you?

So, if you ever happen to cuddle up with Abby and a good book, don't be surprised if she won't let you turn the page until she has added a bit of her own twist to the story, I guarantee it will make the tale much more fun and interesting.

This has to be my all time favorite picture of Abby
reading - I think she was about two here.

No comments:

Post a Comment