Pages

Friday, January 4, 2013

Catching Phrases

Lately I've noticed how much I say certain phrases over and over, not because I catch myself saying them, but because Abby has started repeating them. For some reason some of the things that I say sound so much funnier coming out of her mouth. Here are a few that I've heard recently.

"I have an idea!"

When I say this it is usually followed by Abby saying, "'Tis it?", but when Abby says it, it usually means she wants something. Tonight she was extra funny when she said it. She came to me after finishing her dinner and asked, "What's next?" I told her that she'd already eaten her dinner, so there was no "next".

"I have an idea!" she said.

"What?" I asked.

"How 'bout noodles!"

"Nope"

"Oh, ummm," she continued. "I have an idea!"

"What?" I asked again.

"How 'bout soup!"

"You already ate your dinner," I reminded her again.

"Oh, too bad.....I have an idea!"

"What?" 

"How 'bout pepperoni pizza!"

"Abby" I said around a laugh, "No."

"Ohhhh....too bad.....I have an idea!"

"What!?!"

"A popsicle!"

I think that may have been her plan all along, because she got that popsicle.

"Sup Dawg!"

Abby got a pair of walkie-talkies for Christmas. She loves her "pink phones", but she doesn't quite have the concept down. First, she likes to be right next to you while using them, which often produces squealing feedback. Second, she has to be reminded that in order for her voice to come through, she needs to hold down the side button the whole time she is talking. It usually isn't a problem hearing her though - since she's right next to you.

Today, she wanted to talk on her "phones" so she sat next to me at the table, picked up her handset and said, "'Sup Dawg!" right into the speaker. Apparently I've said that one too many times into my own handset. Oops!

"Way cool!"

Now, I know I don't say this....at least I think I don't....Anyway, yesterday as we were coloring she let that one fly. Usually when I'm coloring with Abby she will get distracted by what I'm doing and steal my paper  trade with me, replacing it with the one she was working on. Yesterday though, she was great. We colored together and she didn't try to take my picture once. Each time either of us would finish a picture we'd hold it up and ask, "What do you think?" That was the cue for the other one of us to lay the praise on thick. 

It was while I was coloring one picture though that Abby looked over and said, "What are you doing?" When I told her I was coloring the sky she said, "Wow! That's way cool, Mom!" I thought about recording that, so I could play it back over and over during Abby's teen years, but I thought that might be a little much.

"Bruiser's fine!"

Somewhere along the way Bruiser got it in his head that if Abby is sitting on my lap, or cuddling on the couch with me, it means that all the "kids" in the house will eventually get a turn. He has this habit of getting right up and digging his nose under my arm, pushing his way in. Abby thinks this is hilarious. I will usually pet him, and acknowledge him, but he's a glutton and so it will often take a firm, "Bruiser! That's enough!" before he backs down.

Once again this scenario played out this morning. With Abby giggling on my lap, and Bruiser howling and trying to climb up too, I finally cried out, "Alright everyone...that's enough!" To which Abby replied, "Aww c'mon, Mom. Bruiser's fine!"

After which both of them picked up right where they'd left off.

I could go on and on about how now she says, "Ouchie-wa-wa" instead of just, "Ouch" when something hurts, or how her favorite question these days is, "What's so funny?", but I've got to end this post at some point. Suffice it to say, Abby is repeating back so much of what we say, that I'm awfully glad we don't use any stronger language than, "Aww bugger-de-do!" when I stub my toe, or  the "Oh fudge popsicle!" Jason said when he dropped something the other day. I just never know what's going to come out of that pert little mouth of hers...


No comments:

Post a Comment