Pages

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Twas the Last Day of Break


Ahh, the last day of Christmas vacation. This is always bitter sweet to me. I enjoy teaching and it is good for me to have a set schedule, but I also love that I have the luxury of enjoying my hobbies when I'm on a break, because of that it is always hard to head back to school.

Abby, on the other hand, can't wait to get back to her teachers and friends. This makes me so happy!

So in honor of our last day, I give you my version of "Twas the Night Before Christmas".

Twas the Last Day of Break

Twas the last day of break and all through the house
every creature was preparing - and trying not to grouse.
The backpacks were placed by the front door with care,
in hopes that a snowstorm might come out of thin air.

And Abby was nestled, all snug in her her bed,
while visions of letters danced in her head.
While I in my slippers, stood packing her lunch
I noticed some laundry I’d missed - quite a bunch.

Away to the washer I flew like a flash
tore open the top and threw things in with a splash.
When what to my wondering eyes came to sight,
but a couple more loads that needed cleaning this night.

With a sigh and a groan I trudged away from those clothes,
Knowing that it’d be some time before in bed I could doze.
My break had gone fast, in the blink of an eye,
It made me quite grumpy - I’m not going to lie.

But then I thought back to all that we’d done,
The laughing and joking, and all of the the fun.
What a blessing it is to have had all this time,
to be with my family - to complain is a crime.

I do miss my students, and their inquisitive ways,
And Abby’s been asking for school, for quite a few days.
So we’ll enjoy these last few hours of our Christmas holiday,
And be so very thankful for the extra time we’ve had to play.


This was taken a couple of days ago, but it shows how ready she is
to get back in the swing of "working" again.

No comments:

Post a Comment