Pages

Monday, December 31, 2012

New Year's


Throughout the day I found myself forgetting that today was New Year's Eve. This tends to happen to me when I'm on a break, I completely lose track of what day it is.

As a kid I really got into New Year's Eve. I'd was a complete sucker for all of the "year in review" shows and looked forward to staying up to watch the ball drop in Time's Square. Now....well, now it just isn't that exciting. In fact, I can't remember the last time I actually made it to midnight before falling asleep.

Despite the lack of "pomp and circumstance" I still look forward to the new year ahead of us, in my own quiet way. When I did remember today was the last day of the year, I would pause and think about what a year it has been, and anticipate some of the exciting moments we have in front of us. Here are some of the things that are "scheduled" for the coming year:

  1. Abby will become an eight year old.
  2. I will complete my 15th year of teaching.
  3. Jason and I will celebrate our 14th year of marriage.
  4. I will celebrate my last "30 something" birthday.
  5. I will be one class away from completing my Master's Degree.
There is quite a bit to look forward to - things I expect will happen, but I also know that 2013 will bring many unexpected things, things that are both delightful and stressful. But that's half the fun of anticipating the new year, isn't it?.....wondering about what lies ahead, taking a deep breath, and plunging in.

I asked Abby what her New Year's resolutions were today. Knowing that she wasn't sure what a "resolution" was, I clarified for her. I asked her what she would do more of this year. Her answer? "Singing!" (She also said, "Halloween parties." Apparently, she just wants more opportunities to dress up, get together with her friends, and get candy - can't fault her on that one.) When I asked her what she would do less of she was a bit more unsure, she said she'd do less "going to people's houses", which is completely not what she's about, but maybe she was still stuck on what she wanted to do more of.....

Whatever happens, I know that I have much to look forward to in 2013. I know that Abby will continue to grow, learn, and delight so many....and a mom can't ask for much more than that.

Blessings to you all on your New Year.

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11


Today Abby wrote a note to Papa on her coloring page. Here's
what it said: Dear Papa, I'm going to give you smootchie-bugs!
Love, Abby
Papa was pleased as punch to get the message.
Abby continues to take excellent care of little miss Annie.
She was singing a sweet little lullaby while she gave
her tonight's bottle.


No comments:

Post a Comment